Monday, January 25, 2010

Another Super Soup


Sunday's have turned into Soup Sundays in our house and I'm loving it. I love nothing better than cuddling up to a warm yummy soup on the weekend and soup for lunch always make my work days a little brighter.

So here I am with another delicious soup to share. The first time I made this one was New Year's Eve about 5 years ago for 8 of my nearest & dearest friends. Unfortunately I didn't read how much the recipe yielded before I made it and I ended up making a vat of soup and served it in little bowls. There was enough to make 40 servings! Needless to say, I got teased quite a bit and to this day I still have not lived that night down!

The original recipe is from the In Style Parties book, one of my go to entertaining books. J transformed it a bit and I think it came out amazingly so I'll include her modifications. Note...I've also cut the recipe in half so it will yield about 20 4 oz cups. Didn't want you guys to have the same issue I did :)

Sweet Potato Soup Shots
(Makes 20 4 oz. cups)
1 tbsp unsalted butter
1/2 large onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 3/4 lb. sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
3/4 lb. baking potatoes, peeled and cubed
32 oz. chicken broth
5 c water
1 T light brown sugar
1 tbsp. cinnamon
3/4 c heavy cream
salt and pepper to taste
toasted baguette slices and minced fresh parsley for garnish
  • Melt butter in Dutch oven over medium heat.
  • Add onion and garlicl cook 3-4 min.
  • Add all potatoes, broth, water, brown sugar and cinnamon.
  • Bring to a noil, reduce heat and simmer 25-30 min., or until tender.
  • Let cool slightly, then, working in batches, puree soup in a blended.
  • Return to heat.
  • Stir in cream; heat through.
  • Add salt and pepper; garnish with crostini and parsley.
Happy cooking!

3 comments:

Helena - A Diary of Lovely said...

will have to start making soups!

Giovanna said...

mmm....this soup looks amazing!

Wifey Wiferson said...

Gosh, that looks good!