Monday, May 18, 2009

Making Progress

Happy Monday everyone! Hope you all had a great weekend. We had an extremely eventful and productive one. Firstly, as you can see, I tried my dress on! I decided to let you have a little sneak peak :) It was the first time I had the opportunity to see it since January and I'm happy to say, I still love it. It's very simple, but it's just right for me.

So, like I said, it's been eventful, and I don't want to leave anything out so I'll start from the top. On Saturday we decided to take our flower girl, Ally dress shopping and we just happened to find ourselves shopping at the same bridal salon where we purchased our dresses from. As I mentioned before, my dress came in well over a week ago but I haven't scheduled a fitting yet because I still haven't decided on the shoes. As you could imagine, the suspense was killing me so I just had to try it on shoes or no shoes!

After that excitement, we ventured on to find Ally a dress. I don't remember if I've mentioned this before but Ally is Antoinette's six year old daughter, our best friend who just passed away last month. As I said before, the weekend was eventful and this certainly was an eventful experience. I'm gonna try to keep this short and spare you some of the gorry details.

Well she was a dream child at first. She tried on about seven or eight dresses with no complaints at all. She was having a great time, she was loving every one she tried on and she even did a little dance for us in each one. Everything was going perfectly and we ended up narrowing it down to four dress. There were two that I was absolutely in love with, one that I hated, it was a horrible shade of pink that did not go with our color palette whatsoever and it had a ridiculous amount of beads, and one that I was pretty indifferent about. So naturally what happens is that Ally decides that she LOVES the horrible pink beaded dress that didn't even fit her. The dress that I hated! I couldn't, for the life of me understand why she wanted that one. When she tried the dress on it was actually hurting her because it was too small and the beads were scratching her skin! Why would she want to have that dress? So, as you could imagine, things ended up taking a sharp turn for the ugly. She ended up throwing a fit in the store, hysterical crying, laying down on the floor, refusing to take the dress off. And it killed us to see her so upset because we knew the real reason she was acting out was because she had just lost her mother. It wasn't really about the dress. But there was no way we could make her undestand that. So after about a half hour of antics we gave in and compromised and bought her the dress I was indifferent about, her second choice and my third choice. I wish I had pictures to share but it really wasn't a photo op moment. It's an ivory dress with ivory grosgrain spaghetti straps an a grosgrain bow. It's a little too plain compaired to what I was envisioning so I decided that I'm going to liven it up a little bit. Yesterday I bought a wine colored sash that matches the girls dresses and I think I'm going to see if I can find a light pink chiffon peony and have a seamstress attach it to the sash.

So that was Saturday and the fun filled dress excursion. Yesterday was a better day. We made a lot of progress and now I'm feeling pretty good about things. We went to Bloomies and finalized our invitation design and placed the order. We should have the first proof by the end of the week. I am sooo excited and I can't wait to see what they look like! I think they're going to be absolutely perfect!

After Bloomies, we headed on down to Gracious Home and while we were browsing we found the perfect solution to our cocktail hour table centerpiece dilemma. Aquamarine mercury glass votives!


These aren't the exact ones but you get the idea. I'm can't even tell you how excited I am to cross that task off our list. We've been trying to think of more affordable alternatives to bud vases and I think we came up with the perfect solution. We're going to put two mercury glass votives on each table, they were only $2.99 each! and then have a hurricane with a burgundy pillar candle in the center of the table. Our venue provides the votive candles and clear glass votive holders so we'll probably put a few clear glass ones on each table as well.

So all in all we had a pretty productive weekend. We'll try to get a few more things accomplished over the next few days...shoes & hair trial appointments and then Saturday we're off to sunny St. Thomas for a much needed vacation. Let the countdown begin!

Image: found here

6 comments:

The Professional Bridesmaid said...

You look STUNNING! Poor Ally. It's great that she has you two for support.

Kelley at My Island Wedding said...

Meanwhile, the dress looks fantastic! I can't even believe what I'm reading about your good friend. Such a sweet little 6 year old. (My daughter is also 6...) Bless her.

And The votives are absolutely stunning! Nice choice

Trinity said...

Your dress is beautiful! To me simple is always the best option

little luxury list said...

The dress is pure elegance on you. :)

The votives are awesome too - I will check out Gracious Home for something similar. Thanks for posting!

Tina♥ said...

You looks seriously serene and BEAUTIFUL in your gown!!!! Perfect choice!!!!!!

Mo said...

Aw you look so so pretty. The dress looks fantastic!!
Ally's lucky to have you both. She looks really sweet with you in the photo.